Teaching as Art
10 Minutes Professor
- Activity in a pair
- Everyone will have a learning map of their partner
- You will have 10 minutes to prepare a lesson for your partner, using their learning map. The topic of instruction is: how to boil an egg.
- You must write / draw the syllabus
- After the session, your partner will teach you for 10 minutes
- You will give each other feedback about teaching style and the syllabus
View the assignment in action from the 2018 cohort here.
Kim Beom, “Objects Being Taught They are Nothing but Tools” (detail), 2010. Installation view at Artsonje Center, Seoul. Courtesy the artist and SAMUSO, Seoul. Photo: Myungrae Park.
Teaching as Art is a class about pedagogy, artist run schools and social practice art. The class has been offered as a graduate level course offered at NYU ITP in 2019, 2018, 2017 and a day long workshop at the Eyeo Festival.
Professor: Taeyoon Choi
with assistance from: Shira Feldman
This class is for artists and creative technologists who want to teach. A good teacher is also a great student themself. They transform their curiosity into knowledge and share their learning processes with others. One can learn to become a better teacher by staying fearless about ‘not knowing’ something, embracing radically open ideas and connecting various expertise and knowledge. Teaching can be a form of artistic and creative practice in collaboration with a diverse community. Teachers can invent new forms of learning spaces, new kinds of collaboration and new senses of community.